City & Guilds Certificate in Culinary Arts (Professional Chef Level 1)
A course formulated for those who are not familiar with food preparation. The course gives an introduction to the catering and hospitality industry and focuses on safety and cooking techniques.
The 32 week course is divided between on and off campus time. Learners are placed in the industry to further advance their skills and to allow them to experience a real work environment.
- Introduction to the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety awareness for the catering and hospitality industry
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Introduction to personal workplace skills
- Prepare, cook and finish by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare, cook and finish by deep and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Prepare food for cold presentation
- Knife skills
All study material included
- Basic knife set
- Two chef jackets, aprons, neck tie and hat
- All study material: Professional Chef Level 1
- All ingredients
- City and Guilds registration and examination
- Dr Bill Gallagher’s autobiography
- South African Chefs Association (SACA) student membership
Experience and placement
Learners are placed in the industry to further advance their skills, and to allow them to experience a real work environment beforehand. ChefMLK School of Cooking will visit the learner during this time.
Learners work in either a butchery or a bakery for a week. ChefMLK School of Cooking will assist finding a suitable place for the learner.